- Olive Oil
- Double Cream
- Almond Flour
- Mozarella Cheese
- Tomato Passata
- Parmesan Cheese, grated
- Basil, dried
- Wash the aubergine and cut into slices. Arrange the slices in a colander and sprinkle with salt. Leave over the sink for a good 15 minutes. This will help the aubergine to be less bitter. Rinse and pat dry.
- Whilst waiting for the aubergines, make the sauce. In a small pot, add ½ the olive oil and add the tomato passata and dried basil. Add some water if you would like to make a thinner sauce. Stir and cook for 5-8 minutes. Remove from heat and keep to the side.
- Pour the almond flour in a bowl and toss the aubergine slices to slightly coat each slice on both sides. Pre-heat a medium sized pan and add ½ the olive oil. Before adding the aubergine slices, make sure that the oil is hot enough. Shake the almond-coated aubergine slices before adding to the hot pan. Fry the aubergine slices on both sides. Each side takes around 3-4 minutes to brown. Once fried, place the aubergine slices on kitchen towels to help dry.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C. Now, in a small ramekin or small oven proof dish spread a little of the sauce on the bottom. Arrange the aubergine slices in one layer. Spread some more tomato sauce on top and add more aubergine slices. Repeat until the tomato sauce and aubergine slices have been used up.
- * if preparing in advance, do not add the double cream, mozzarella and parmesan at this stage. These will be added when you are intending to serve the dish. Sprinkle the cheeses on the top layer and re-heat in the oven or microwave until the dish is re-heated through.
- Once finished, spread the double cream on the top layer and sprinkle the mozzarella and parmesan cheese on the top layer. Place in the pre-heated oven and cook for about 15-20 minutes. Serve warm.